Toucan Rescue Ranch (San Isidro, Costa Rica)

August 15, 2012 by eckids

Where do I begin to tell you about the most amazing, magical and enlightening place I’ve ever traveled to? The Toucan Rescue Ranch in San Isidro, Costa Rica is a place I want to go back to every year to watch as it grows.

Leslie and Jorge, the owners of the ranch, are doing an amazing thing for their local wildlife and it’s incredible that by opening their home to visitors both human and animal, they are helping our planet in a truly selfless way.  The hubby actually found this place for me and I think he used it to convince me he could/should drive in Costa Rica.  (Or maybe he truly knows what an animal lover I am and indulges.)  I’m so thankful.  From the night we checked in when Leslie knocked on our door and asked if we wanted to watch her feed the sloths (yes yes yes!) to the morning and night walks to visit the animals, the guys (yes, all the guys!) and I couldn’t have been more thrilled.

Leslie values each of the animals stories-where they came from, what happened to them, where they are found and how they can be rehabilitated and if possible, released.  It seems like she will do anything possible to try and find answers to tough questions that might help the creatures that arrive on her doorstep even when cost, time or her sleep might be affected. The night before we left two more babies arrived: helpless little toucans who’s tree fell down in a storm.  I can’t wait to hear how their story unfolds.

As a mamma who had babies who lived in the NICU, being at the ranch reminded me of the hospital nursery I spent so many weeks in when the boys were small and how each life-threatening moment also needed to be met with patience and love. There is so much love in this community and I felt so much peace in the few days I spent there. This is the type of place I truly want to help.

If you would like to help me support this rescue center I would love for you to visit its site, then comment below that you did.  That’s it. I will offer 5 dollars per comment up to 5 hundred dollars to the ranch and I will post the receipt here by October 1st (2012) to prove that your time was well spent.  Thank you for stopping by and if you love animals as much as I do, I hope you get a chance to go and meet Leslie and Jorge too.  They are truly inspirational people and I’m lucky my family got to bask in their sparkly glow for a couple days.

(PS a follow up: I sent in a $500 donation on September 30th.  Thank you all for your support and for spreading a little toucan/sloth/human being love with all your comments.)

32 thoughts on “Toucan Rescue Ranch (San Isidro, Costa Rica)

1. majl says:

What an amazing looking place… I will definitely try to visit the Toucan Rescue Ranch one day! Great find, Terumi!

2. Roo says:

What a wonderful place! I’m sure my crazy wife will drag me there soon 🙂

3. RPP says:

Here’s for all the animals, especially Millie and Andy the baby sloth.

4. bgbunch says:

Toucan Rescue Ranch is the best place to go and stay at. I have been there more than 5 times and I love it even more each time. There is always something going on, just sitting on the patio you can see so much wildlife it is insane. Make sure you put this place on your list of vacations or just donate to help.

5. queenbee says:

I love Costa Rica, my hubby and I went there and just did the beach thing… I’m dreaming about going back one day with the kids and will definitely have the Toucan Rescue Ranch on my list of adventures. It is such a beautiful country!

6. ES says:

Sounds like it was a fantastic place to visit! We will have to make this one of our future travel stops.

7. Louise Walter says:

I have heard such great things about Leslie and the ranch from people she knows in Reno, NV who I now know also – BG, Parrot Connection, RAAVE bird club. I’m looking forward to making a trip there in the very near future – maybe this year.

8. I’m with u on this one- with a tears in my eyes. Good work. If u give me their address I’ll send a money order

9. What a great cause and good for you for doing what you can to help such a worthwhile place! Those sloths are adorable! I am definitely putting this in places to visit/stay when we finally make our way to Costa Rica (hopefully soon).

10. eckids says:

There’s a link on the website so it’s very easy: http://www.toucanrescueranch.com/donate.html
    Thanks for helping a very worthwhile cause.

11. Rachael says:

After having spent some extensive time here at the Toucan Rescue Ranch I have only wonderful thoughts and memories to share. Leslie’s commitment to all her critters is unmatched and truly inspirational–exactly what one would hope to see in such a great sanctuary. Both Leslie and Jorge are incredibly kind and generous and the success stories of so many animals they have worked to save warm your heart. This is a wonderful post, thank you for sharing and good luck with your fund raising for them as well!

All my best,

Rachael

12. leonardva says:

What a fun way to donate! We are fans of the Toucan Rescue as well. I look forward to going one day, they seem to do amazing work!

13. Fran says:

I have never been to Costa Rica, but hope to visit one day. The Toucan Rescue Ranch will definitely be on my itinerary!

14. Allison says:

Oooo sloth time! That’s fabulously fun!!

15. Julie says:

What a lovely idea for fundraising! It takes such a big heart and commitment to run a program like this. I’m so glad that you and the boys got a chance to experience it and to spread the word! ❤

16. Christine says:

From one animal lover to another. This is a wonderful place. I have visited several rescue centers in Costa Rica and this one is on my list (next time) as I regularly follow the blog. My hat goes off to them…..I have a picture in my office of two baby sloths from a rescue center on the Carribean side. There is nothing more precious. Great idea for the fundraiser.

17. […] think of Hallowe’en, but one of the boys has decided he MUST have a sloth costume. (Thank you Toucan Rescue Ranch visit and probably my crazy see-something, want-something, genes.)  Anyways, I thought if I researched […]

18. Kate Duncan says:

Terumi,

Wow… Thank you for sharing your love with those beautiful creatures. Warms my soul. Toucans are my most favorite of all birds. I care so much for God’s creatures. I wish you and your beautiful family well.

Love Kate (Julie and Allison’s cousin )

19. eckids says:

Thank you for stopping in! A donation was made and I’m so thankful for your support:)

20. eckids says:

I hope one day you can visit this place. Thank you for your comment and for helping the Toucan Rescue Ranch.

21. eckids says:

Thank you for stopping by. A donation has been made and I’m so thankful for your lovely support:) xoxo

22. eckids says:

I know you love sloths:) Thanks for helping them out:) xoxo

23. eckids says:

Of course:) Thank you for your help:)

24. eckids says:

I hope you do go there one day:) And thank you for stopping by and for helping a wonderful place:)

25. eckids says:

Your comments just make me want to go back again:) I’m so totally inspired by Leslie and Jorge:) Thank you for your help:)

26. eckids says:

I hope you go here Mary, it’s amazing. A donation was made and I am so thankful for your support:)

27. eckids says:

I hope you do go. It’s amazing and I’m so thankful for Leslie and Jorge. Thank you for helping support a dear cause.

28. eckids says:

Thank you for stopping by and helping a great cause. A donation has been made and I’m thankful for your support.

29. […] place is so magical!  (Leslie, I’m already trying to figure out how to come back […]

30. […] Rican animal friends. Here’s a little video from the Toucan Rescue Ranch in Heredia that we visited in August and yes, of course you can see baby […]

31. Lauren Yasuda says:

My family of 4 also stayed at Toucan Rescue Ranch this past August! We had the most wonderful time there — truly magical! I am most grateful to Leslie for everything, and I hope to return someday.

32. eckids says:

Me too:) Our family learned so much from Leslie and Jorge and it was truly amazing to wake up on an animal reserve!